Dear SPC Parents,
Happy Halloween! Given our wintery weather today I am including the Alternative/E-Learning Policy below. While I hope we are not in for a long winter, it looks like we are in for a long winter season!
Vaping Presentations For Parents and Grades 5-8
We are excited to welcome back Dr. Terri Collins to present on the dangers of vaping. Please come to the presentation; as parents it is very important that we are fully aware of the dangers of vaping and what to look for. We welcomed Dr. Collins last year for a parent presentation and I would love to see it better attended this year.
Student Presentations for grades 5-8 will take place on Wednesday, November 6th. Parent Presentations will take place at the Open Board Meeting on November 19th at 7:30pm. Please save the date!
NEW: Alternative/E-Learning Days Policy
The Archdiocese of Chicago Office of Catholic Schools (OCS) recognizes that education can continue even when students and teachers are not in the same location. Alternative/E-Learning involves online or teacher-prepared lessons that students can do when away from the physical school building. St Paul of the Cross School will be offering Alternative/E-Learning Days for the 2019-2020 school year. These designated days will encourage student growth in the areas of self-sufficiency, adaptability and perseverance, and encourages students to take responsibility for their own learning. This policy also enforces good habits geared toward high school and college digital learning expectations.
- To minimize the disruption to academic progress caused with emergency school closures by making those out-of-school days as educationally productive and engaging as possible.
- To allow students an opportunity to practice the kind of online learning that is increasingly part of both college study and workplace training.
- To maximize the use of technology as a tool for independent study.
- Alternative/E-Learning Days are defined as days that include online instruction, independent research projects, and other document-based learning, etc.
- Alternate/E-Learning Days may only be implemented on occasions when school is cancelled due to inclement weather or other unexpected closures.
- The current OCS policy requires at least 180 instructional days per year. St Paul of the Cross School may use up to 4 of these Alternative/E-Learning days in cases of school closure.
- St. Paul of the Cross School must cover the 4 core subjects (Reading/ELA, Math, Science, Social Studies) and include religion, for these designated days.
- Assignments will be posted on each teacher’s Google Classroom. All assignments will be posted by 9:00 am on the Alternative/E-Learning Day. Teachers will be available to answer questions regarding the assignments via email throughout the day up until 3:00.
- Assignments are expected to be completed during the Alternative/E-Learning Day. Assignments that require direct submission to the teacher will be due when school resumes.
- It is understood that some families may not have access to internet at home. St. Paul of the Cross School will be flexible in those situations. Students without home internet access must inform their teacher/s by November 1st so that modifications can be made. Students without internet access will be expected to complete the work within a timeframe developed by the teacher.
- Power and internet outages are possible during school closings. However, all students will be expected to complete the assigned work. Teachers will make accommodations for the work to be completed during the school day (recess, lunch, before school, or after school). Parents will be required to notify their child’s teacher in writing the day school resumes if an outage occurred in their home.
- Students will be marked as present on Alternative/E-Learning Days. However, if the assigned work is not completed within the period of time designated by the teacher, the student will be marked absent for the day that school was closed.
- Alternative/E-Learning Days will be announced in the same manner as school closings. You will be notified via email and a phone call through school messenger. In addition, you may access information at www.EmergencyClosings.com. Our St. Paul of the Cross School website www.spc-school.net will also have closing information.
Dr. Erika Mickelburgh
Celebrating the Spirit
Last week we sent home a letter and packet of information with your oldest/only child. There are many opportunities for families to participate, so please be sure to check out the packet.
Also, be sure to check out the Celebrating the Spirit website.
Bob & Jeannie McNamara
George & Megan Panothiocas
SPC Information and Updates
SPC Green Team
Hey SPC Parents!
After Halloween, instead of tossing your pumpkin in the trash, drop it off for composting! Park Ridge is collecting pumpkins on Nov 2 from 8am-1pm at the Public Works Service Center 400 Busse Hwy.
We want to inform you that we will be doing a Denim Drive during the first week of November - the 4th through the 8th. You may bring clean and used jeans for the Denim Drive. The jeans may be any color. We will be collecting the jeans at main school entrances during school drop-off in the morning all week.
With the jeans we collect, we will do 3 things:
1. cut out patterns of shoes and ship them to Sole Hope, who make shoes for kids in Uganda.
2. donate some jeans to the SPC Clothing Drive.
3. recycle some jeans to be made into insulation.
We hope you are able to donate your jeans!
- SPC Green Team
Home Run Inn Pizza Hot Lunch November 15th! Order Form Now Open
Please follow all the steps on the form (see link below) to be properly registered for hot lunch. The form and payment must be received for your child to receive the lunch. Payment must be received through Smart Tuition. Please do not send money to school to pay for the lunch. No lunches will be provided for purchase the day of hot lunch.
5th and 6th Grade students will be on a field trip so please do not register your students in that grade. Thank you.
Please note, registration closes on Wednesday, November 6th at 3:00pm.
Hot Lunch Form
Thank you for supporting the hot lunch program.
Have you seen the new SPC drawstring bags and water bottles?
They drawstring bags are the perfect size for sports, lunches or library books.
The Contigo SPC water bottle is perfect to take to school or to a sporting event.
These are available for purchase in both the EGC and UGC offices with cash/check made payable to St. Paul of the Cross or convenient online purchasing.
Please click on the link, https://bngn.smarttuition.com/?id=y5qbyr1onk2, select the quantity and your purchase will be delivered to the homeroom of your only/oldest!
All proceeds/profit support the SPC 8th grade class.
Thank you - The 8th Grade Room Moms
Roundball 2020! - January 11-19, 2020
Please click on the links below!
Roundball Player Registration - 6th-8th Grade Girls and Boys (NOT JUST BASKETBALL PLAYERS!)
Roundball Coaches Flyer and Electronic Application
Roundball Coaches Application
Roundball Parent Volunteer Information
Chess-Ed Winter Session
Registration for the Winter Session of the after school chess program is underway! The 10-week program takes place on Tuesdays from 2-3 pm and runs from 11/19/19 to 2/11/20.
The chess program is taught by Chess-Ed instructors and is open to all SPC students in 1st through 8th grade, and students of all chess abilities, novice or continuing. Professional instruction will include the basics for novice players and build with opening theory, middle game planning, and end game combinations for continuing students. Playing chess improves memory, uses analytical and critical thinking skills, teaches problem solving, responsibility, sportsmanship, social skills and more! The benefits of chess last a lifetime!
To register or for all the details and information, please go to www.spc-chess.eventbee.com. DISCOUNTED Registration Fee applies through 11/12/19; On Time and Late fees begin 11/13/19.
SPC Home and School Association
SPC Home and School Bulls Game Family Nights!
Purchase tickets at a discounted price now through this link: http://response.bulls.com/spc . Enter the following promo code to access discounts: STPAUL
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Have you seen the cool SPC canvas tote bags and car magnets around town? The tote bags are a natural colored canvas with an embroidered SPC logo, navy accents, top zip and front pocket. Handles are long enough to go over the shoulder. Car magnets are a great way to show off that SPC is the place to be!
New Committees/Opportunities with Home and School Association
Calling all Parents, Grandparents and Guardians to join in volunteering with the SPC Home and School Association! When you volunteer at the school, you get to know other students, parents and staff ultimately enhancing your entire family’s connection with the SPC community.
St. Paul of the Cross Parish
We have an active and vibrant parish and encourage everyone to read the weekly bulletins for Fr. Britto's weekly letter and to stay informed about all of the upcoming events and programs. Parish Bulletin for November 3, 2019
Please click on the Fair Trade image to download the flyer.
From The Community
Updates and Invitations From Our High Schools
Resurrection High School -
Holiday Arts & Crafts Fair Saturday, November 9th
Maine South Hawkette's Holiday Performances - Save the Date! December 15th
Kick off the holidays with the Maine South Hawkettes! Guest performances by Orchesis and the Maine South Drum Line, as well as some special guests that you won’t want to miss! Sunday, December 15, at 3pm in the Maine South Spec Gym! Tickets available at the door or online!