Dear SPC Families,
It was so wonderful to see all the grandparents and grandfriends last week; it truly is one of my favorite days of the year. The connection between a grandparent and grandchild is so special and it was an honor to witness the joy last week!
Next week we are ready to host the Fun Fair extravaganza! I can't wait to see the decorations, costumes and excitement!
Vaping Presentations For Parents and Grades 5-8
We are excited to welcome back Dr. Terri Collins to present on the dangers of vaping. Next week we will have an RSVP for the parent presentation. Please come to the presentation; as parents it is very important that we are fully aware of the dangers of vaping and what to look for. We welcomed Dr. Collins last year for a parent presentation and I would love to see it better attended this year.
Student Presentations for grades 5-8 will take place on November 6th. Parent Presentations will take place at the Open Board Meeting on November 19th at 7:30pm. Please save the date!
NEW: Alternative/E-Learning Days Policy
The Archdiocese of Chicago Office of Catholic Schools (OCS) recognizes that education can continue even when students and teachers are not in the same location. Alternative/E-Learning involves online or teacher-prepared lessons that students can do when away from the physical school building. St Paul of the Cross School will be offering Alternative/E-Learning Days for the 2019-2020 school year. These designated days will encourage student growth in the areas of self-sufficiency, adaptability and perseverance, and encourages students to take responsibility for their own learning. This policy also enforces good habits geared toward high school and college digital learning expectations.
- To minimize the disruption to academic progress caused with emergency school closures by making those out-of-school days as educationally productive and engaging as possible.
- To allow students an opportunity to practice the kind of online learning that is increasingly part of both college study and workplace training.
- To maximize the use of technology as a tool for independent study.
- Alternative/E-Learning Days are defined as days that include online instruction, independent research projects, and other document-based learning, etc.
- Alternate/E-Learning Days may only be implemented on occasions when school is cancelled due to inclement weather or other unexpected closures.
- The current OCS policy requires at least 180 instructional days per year. St Paul of the Cross School may use up to 4 of these Alternative/E-Learning days in cases of school closure.
- St. Paul of the Cross School must cover the 4 core subjects (Reading/ELA, Math, Science, Social Studies) and include religion, for these designated days.
- Assignments will be posted on each teacher’s Google Classroom. All assignments will be posted by 9:00 am on the Alternative/E-Learning Day. Teachers will be available to answer questions regarding the assignments via email throughout the day up until 3:00.
- Assignments are expected to be completed during the Alternative/E-Learning Day. Assignments that require direct submission to the teacher will be due when school resumes.
- It is understood that some families may not have access to internet at home. St. Paul of the Cross School will be flexible in those situations. Students without home internet access must inform their teacher/s by November 1st so that modifications can be made. Students without internet access will be expected to complete the work within a timeframe developed by the teacher.
- Power and internet outages are possible during school closings. However, all students will be expected to complete the assigned work. Teachers will make accommodations for the work to be completed during the school day (recess, lunch, before school, or after school). Parents will be required to notify their child’s teacher in writing the day school resumes if an outage occurred in their home.
- Students will be marked as present on Alternative/E-Learning Days. However, if the assigned work is not completed within the period of time designated by the teacher, the student will be marked absent for the day that school was closed.
- Alternative/E-Learning Days will be announced in the same manner as school closings. You will be notified via email and a phone call through school messenger. In addition, you may access information at www.EmergencyClosings.com. Our St. Paul of the Cross School website www.spc-school.net will also have closing information.
Lastly, please read through the information below. New information and/or important updates are added each week and we want to be sure you remain informed.
Dr. Erika Mickelburgh
Notes From the School Offices
Now that the weather is getting colder, please remember to send your child(ren) with the appropriate cold weather gear- warm coats, hats, gloves, mittens, etc.
And as we get into colder weather, our lost and found continues to grow. Please try and label all items of clothing, especially SPC wear. We have an abundance of St. Paul sweatshirts, fleeces, and uniforms. There are Lost and Found bins in both buildings, so if your child is missing something, please come and take a look!
SPC Home and School Association
Celebrating the Spirit
Save the Date for SPC’s biggest night of the year! Celebrating the Spirit at the Oscars on February 8, 2020. Exciting details to come ...
If you have something to contribute to our auction/raffle, please let us know. Amazing vacation homes? Airline miles or hotel points? Special experiences? Sports tickets or memorabilia? Your creativity and resources will help ensure the success of this year's auction!
Bob & Jeannie McNamara
George & Megan Panothiocas
New Spoooooooky Fun!
Our main Home and School fundraiser is right around the corner. Please purchase your Fun Fair tickets today for our Halloween fun on Friday, October 25th!
Please remember to keep a copy of your paid receipt to be used as a kids choice out of uniform pass! (Excludes mass days)
We have made some changes this year to help simplify this HSA fundraiser.
Each Fun Fair ticket includes:
- All game candy (no more donating bags of candy per family!)
- One raffle ticket per student
- Face paint and crafts
- 5th-8th grade photo booth
- One Out of Uniform pass to use any day before Christmas break (your ticket receipt email is your Out of Uniform pass for your students.)
- Donation to the Home and School Association to help sponsor programs throughout the year.
Please volunteer to help out -- this event can't happen without lots of ghosts and goblins to set up and run the games, and we always appreciate your help.
All volunteers will be given an additional raffle ticket for their child(ren) as a small token of our gratitude!
On October 25th, students are invited to wear their Halloween costumes to school and attend the Fun Fair! Please remember no masks or weapons.
Any questions, please contact:
SPC Home and School Bulls Game Family Nights!
Purchase tickets at a discounted price now through this link: http://response.bulls.com/spc . Enter the following promo code to access discounts: STPAUL
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Have you seen the cool SPC canvas tote bags and car magnets around town? The tote bags are a natural colored canvas with an embroidered SPC logo, navy accents, top zip and front pocket. Handles are long enough to go over the shoulder. Car magnets are a great way to show off that SPC is the place to be!
New Committees/Opportunities with Home and School Association
Calling all Parents, Grandparents and Guardians to join in volunteering with the SPC Home and School Association! When you volunteer at the school, you get to know other students, parents and staff ultimately enhancing your entire family’s connection with the SPC community.
SPC Information and Updates
SPC Green Team - This Saturday, October 19th! Great time to recycle all of those old electronics!
The SPC Green Team would like to let you know that Park Ridge is hosting an electronic recycling event from 9am to noon on Saturday, October 19th at the Public Works Service Center. For more information visit the Park Ridge city website.
Healthy Kids is BACK! Starting in November parents will have the option to purchase a hot lunch on set Fridays. Registration is now open to purchase the lunches. Registration will close on Thursday, October 24th at 3:00pm for the November lunches. Extra lunches will not be available the day of this hot lunch.
Please complete the form(s) by Thursday, October 24th.
November Lunches and Menus
NOVEMBER 1ST- Cheese Quesadilla, Mexican rice, Fruit and Chocolate chip cookie
NOVEMBER 8TH- Pancakes, Sausage and Fresh Fruit
If you have any questions please let Kelly Spanos know. Thank you for supporting the hot lunch program.
Girl Scouts - Pet Food Drive October 19th and 20th at Church
Please click on the link below to learn about Eileen Schenfeld's (SPC Class of 2017) Gold Project to help raise awareness of the need for pet food pantries and to help supply them with food. We wish Eileen the very best as she completes the highest Girl Scout award!!
Pet Food Drive
Roundball 2020! Save the Dates January 11-19, 2020
We are excited to be planning our Roundball Tournament for 2020. Please note that this year's Roundball has been pushed back one week due to the SPC boys' basketball season going through the first week of January. We will be sending out the player, coach, and sponsorship forms in the next week, so please be sure to keep an eye out for them.
Chess-Ed Winter Session
Registration for the Winter Session of the after school chess program is underway! The 10-week program takes place on Tuesdays from 2-3 pm and runs from 11/19/19 to 2/11/20.
The chess program is taught by Chess-Ed instructors and is open to all SPC students in 1st through 8th grade, and students of all chess abilities, novice or continuing. Professional instruction will include the basics for novice players and build with opening theory, middle game planning, and end game combinations for continuing students. Playing chess improves memory, uses analytical and critical thinking skills, teaches problem solving, responsibility, sportsmanship, social skills and more! The benefits of chess last a lifetime!
To register or for all the details and information, please go to www.spc-chess.eventbee.com. DISCOUNTED Registration Fee applies through 11/12/19; On Time and Late fees begin 11/13/19.
St. Paul of the Cross Parish
We have an active and vibrant parish and encourage everyone to read the weekly bulletins for Fr. Britto's weekly letter and to stay informed about all of the upcoming events and programs. Parish Bulletin for October 20, 2019
Please join us for a Candlelight Rosary October 29th
Please click on the Fair Trade image to download the flyer.
From The Community
Updates and Invitations From Our High Schools
St. Ignatius Latin Days - Fun and Games on Saturday, October 26th
Please click here to download the Latin Days flyer
Resurrection High School - Admissions Events 7th & 8th Grade Girls
Please click here to download Resurrection's flyer containing information on upcoming open houses.
Regina Dominican High School
October 17th Open House Flyer - Tonight
6th-8th Grade Girls October 18th Volleyball Clinic Flyer - Tomorrow Night